Sources & Credit
A website as complex and detailed as the Wisconsin Highways website could
never be undertaken without the aid of dozens of helpful people as well
as stacks of documents, maps, books and other websites. This page attempts
to credit those individuals and list those sources consulted. Any omissions
are purely unintentional and will be included by dropping a line to the
A special note about the route lengths used on this website. The lengths
of each state highway route have been computed from an official WisDOT highway
log database which tracks each segment of highway down to the one-thousandth
of a mile. Bob Spoerl, an extremely helpful WisDOTer, has passed
along this data for inclusion on this website. Many, many thanks
go to Bob for making sure the route lengths on this website are as accurate
- The sources of information for the Wisconsin Highways website are
many and varied. Sources from both the government and the private sector
have been consulted when gathering data for these pages. A sampling
of these sources appears below:
- "Official State Trunk Highway System Maps," Wisconsin Dept
of Transportation, Division of Transporatation Infrastructure Development,
issued annually in December.
- "Wisconsin Highways: A History of Wisconsin Highway Development 1835-1945," State
Highway Commission of Wisconsin, 1947.
- "Wisconsin Highways: A History of Wisconsin Highway Development 1945-1985," Wisconsin
Department of Transportation, 1989.
- "Wisconsin Official State Highway Map," Wisconsin Department
of Transportation, 2006 edition.
- Previous editions of the "Wisconsin Official State Highway
the webmaster's own personal collection, dating back to 1919.
- WisDOT's WWW site at http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov for
information, press releases, etc.
- Complete set of WisDOT County Road Maps, dated January 2007.
- "Wisconsin's Rustic Roads: A Positive Step Backward," Wisconsin
Department of Transportation, 1999-2000.
- Various commercial maps and road atlases from 1917 through the
present to help pinpoint highway termini and gather historical information.
- Information offered by helpful websurfers of the Wisconsin
- Information offered by helpful individuals from WisDOT, including
Mark Morrison, Robert Swartz, and especially Bob Spoerl who has been
instrumental in ensuring this website has the most accurate and up-to-date
information. Eternal thanks go to Bob!
- Jon Enslin has been a great help in ensuring the accuracy of this
website, especially during the 2000 updates!
- Other very helpful contributors have been, in alphabetical order:
Daven Howard, Michael Koerner, Kevin Robokoff, Matt Rose, and many
others whom I haven't named here! (Please let me know if I've left
you off this list and your name will be added!)
- Newspaper articles from papers across the state, especially the Milwaukee
- Various commercial city and county maps published by Seeger Maps,
Milwaukee Map Service, Hedberg Maps, Universal Map, Rand McNally,
and other publishers.
- Wisconsin's Best County Atlas, published by Cloud Cartographics, 2000.
- Wisconsin Atlas & Gazetteer, published by DeLorme, 2007.
- Wisconsin County Maps, published by Clarkson Map Service, Kaukauna,
- Personal travels throughout the state of Wisconsin for the past
- Hundreds of other sources... (hopefully to be added here in the
"Dedicated to the past, present and future of the Wisconsin State Trunk Highway system as well as other highways and routes throughout the Badger State. This website is intended to be a clearinghouse of information on Wisconsin's highways, from easily-recognized facts to the little-known trivia. It is also meant to change as the state highway system changes."